Thursday 11 June 2015

Hardangerfjord - Heavenly


Mark is at ease with the VW Golf despite driving on the right side of the road – no crunching of gears either.  I was a bit nervous for the first couple of hours because he seemed to be driving just a touch too close to the edge.   

When he reassured me there is no life insurance policy once you hit 60 – I relaxed.  Only a couple of weeks to go until that milestone, as my friend Deborah reminded me; then I guess I fall off the radar or into a Norwegian fjord.  I better kick up my heels while I can, tho’ these days it’s more flats than heels.

Almost a senior but still up for an ice-cream
Yesterday, my mother would have turned 100 if she were still here - thought I’d just raise a glass of gin & tonic for the occasion.   Thanks Mum.






Meanwhile, Mark and I have spent two glorious days in Hardangerfjord, using Eidfjord as our base.  From the moment we first saw the fjord, our spirits soared (except for when larger vehicles approached on the narrow roads).







Getting to Eidfjord was an adventure – windy roads and lots of tunnels.  The last was 8km long with an internal roundabout and our exit led to a long suspension bridge – breathtaking.

Steinsdalsfossen
You can walk behind this waterfall

Eidfjord is at the end on the Hardangerfjord and is surrounded by  snow-capped mountains but is at sea level.

View from our room, Eidjford
We stayed at a small 8 roomed B&B with a tiny but comfortable room and delightful hosts.  They bake the bread daily so it is warm when we have breakfast and with salmon and cucumber - we packed lunch too.


We took a short drive to see a farm where a woman has lived alone for 40 years.  Her companion was the mountains, the fjord and the occasional bus load of tourists.   When we visited, not a soul was there not even the old lady who maintains the property.  If I said it brought tears to my eyes, you probably wouldn’t believe me but it was surely heaven on earth.  I’m not even sure that photos can do justice to this place.  This old lady may have gone to the real heaven.

Views from Kjeasen farm



The high plains continue to beckon us to see some falls whose names are way too complicated for me say let alone write.  Maybe Mark will fill them in – maybe not.   Water and mountains play a major part in Norway’s beauty and at Hardangerfjord it’s easy to see why.  

Vøringsfossen


Downhill putts are treacherous on this roof
Can't get your Victa on the roof?  Get a goat

Kitty would be proud of us as we hiked uphill along a very rocky path to see more waterfalls - thank you for loaning us the hiking poles which were very helpful (even on rocks).








The drive from Hardangerfjord to Sognefjord was fascinating - some spectacular views along the way.

View from Stalheim Hotel.  
They say its one of the best views in Norway


We had to cross a mountain pass which, given the cold weather, still had so much snow.  Yet, when you arrive down at sea level the temperature rose from 3 to 12 degrees and seemed balmy.



You want me to drive up that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment